Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My final finalisation of ideas :)

Ok, so I am left with 3 ideas that I believe that can actually be done. I hope Ms. Zhang will approve them. Fingers crossed.

Here they are:

1. Examine how the design of a bridge can affect its strength and durability and which would be the best

2. Test the electrical conductivity of different solutions and substances and examine the varying results and the cause of this.

3. the bouncy egg
This involves leaving an egg in vinegar for a week. After a week, it should bounce off the ground without breaking. With this experiment i am going to determine how long the time left in vinegar affects its bounciness.

I found some possible methods on the net for the bouncy egg:

http://www.teachingk.com/archives/integrating_science_in_your_classroom/eggcellent_eggsperiments_by_john_cowens.html
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1323450

But I think the one I will focus on is the bridge designing. Simply because I think the other ones would be too simple. Yes finally I have my experiment.

Ok, so I did some research on bridge designs.

These sites were very helpful.
http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/the-5-most-unusual-bridges/

http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/card_bridge.html

http://www.garrettsbridges.com/photos/popsicle-bridge-3

These sites gave me an idea of what sort of materials I should use to build my bridges and how I should measure the strength of my bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment